Former Braddock, Pa. Allegheny County paid Fire Dept. Station. Paid dept. was disbanded in the early 80's. Garage has housed the public works since. Building is also Police and Borough offices. Garage held as it last apparatus an ALF JOX and a ALF 900 engine. Both went to the volunteer dept., First the JOX sometime in the 70's and later the 900.
Former North Braddock Station 2. This also houses the Police and Borough Offices. Used to have a paid MPO/Chauffeur on duty who doubled as the Fire/Police dispatcher. when out on a fire call phones and radio communication were transferred to Turtle Creek.
Bedford, PA VFD #1 one of the oldest all-volunteer depts. in PA. (1804) broke ground for a new Headquarters station on W est Penn St. in the borough.
The new 6-bay station will replace 2 current buildings; the current HQ station, built in 1949, and enlarged in 1956. An annex building located 100 ft. down the street, erected in 1981 to house the larger fire apparatus, will be razed, as well as a rental house that separates the 2 buildings.
The HQ building itself will be remodeled and revert to borough use.
The 1949 station is very interesting, the front wall is all native sandstone, the dimensions of the building are deceiving; the original 65x80 ft. was expanded another 30x70 ft. in 1956. This made for very deep bays and in the 1960-70s, up to 7 rigs were crammed in here.
As built, this was designed to be a multi-purpose municipal center, with the FD sharing the top floor with the mayor/council offices. The basement had the public works garage and the borough police station/lockup.
Hopefully the new station will have a place for the BFD's 1931 ALF pumper, retired in 1972, and recently restored.
Handout for event on 5/7/19, BFD post
1949 HQ in 2012, WW Jenkins photo
1960s postcard of HQ complex
1931 ALF displayed at groundbreaking, BFD post
Removing lettering from front of 1981 annex building prior to demolition planned later this month. I do not know where the Aerial Tower, Rescue-engine, and engine-tanker will be housed as they do not fit in the 1949 building.