Jeep Grass Fire Units

yfdgricker

Administrator
Staff member
Austintown operates this CJ-5 Jeep for offroad brush firefighting. These photos were from a featured article in JP Magazine, a magazine devoted to Jeep enthusists. The article was published in the April/May 1998 edition. These photos were taken by David Fetherston, article writer.

This particular truck is a 1966 CJ-5. It was ordered in 1965 from Sutphen. It has a 500 GPM pump driven off the front power take off (PTO). It also carries a 100 Gallon tank.

Austintown also has an older CJ-3A in service.

Invalid photo links removed by Box 2565.
 

yfdgricker

Administrator
Staff member
Re: CJ-5 Grass Jeep

Warren Fire Department operated this 1975 Jeep CJ-5 (12gpm/150gwt). It is housed at their main central station.

 

Box 2565

Engine 16 Box Responses
Staff member
CJ-2 Jeep-Howe

Hundreds of these Jeep/Howe rigs were constructed from the 1940's through the 70's. Unlike most rigs of this style, the hard suctions are carried on the sides instead of on an overhead rack.

 

Box 2565

Engine 16 Box Responses
Staff member
CJ-2 Grass Jeep

This Jeep is actually a CJ 2 model from 1947. It was operated by the Day Heights Fire Department in Clermont County, Ohio. The D.H.F.D. no longer exists and the Jeep is now owned by the Cincinnati Fire Museum.

 

Bklyn Phil

Captain
Re: CJ-5 Grass Jeep

There are websites devoted to Jeep fire apparatus at:

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Fire/FireIndex.html

http://www.toledofiremuseum.com/willys/willys.htm

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Fire/FireLiterature.html

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Fire/FireFCHoweKimball.html
Spring 2002 Midwest Willys conventions

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Siblings/FC.html
FC models

http://www.m38a1.ca/index.html
military units ¼ ton trucks 4x4
 

Box 2565

Engine 16 Box Responses
Staff member
Winchester, Ohio Brush 219
1994 Jeep Wrangler
50 Tank

Sardinia, Ohio Brush 235
1978 Jeep CJ-7
55 Tank
Steve Hagy photos.
 

wf33ret

District Chief
According to information posted on a Jeep enthuseist's site, provided by Steve Hagy, Yellowstone
National Park, through the years, owned 5 Jeep "Commando" / Howe 4 wheel drive engines. The first two
photos are different views of the same unit. It is lettered for the Department of The Interior. The third
photo shows another of the Jeeps and it is lettered for Yellowstone Park. The write-up on the
Jeep site relates that Yellowstone records indicate that one of the units pumped at full capacity for
13 days.




Lloyd Collection
 

Attachments

phil/las

Assistant Chief
This Brush Unit was at a muster in Trevose, Bucks County Pa back in 1997. Think it was a private owner.
 

Attachments

cfb

Lieutenant
phil/las said:
This Brush Unit was at a muster in Trevose, Bucks County Pa back in 1997. Think it was a private owner.
nice little jeep, hope someone still has it and is keeping it in great shape.
 

Stark911

Probie
Chippewa Twp Station 22, Beaver County, PA
Retired Brush 22
Willys
1965
This rare Jeep with duel rear wheels was originally built for the U.S. Forestry Service and was made available to volunteer fire companies through a special government purchase program. Purchased new in 1965, this vehicle replaced our previous brush Jeep which was a 1948 Willys. That unit is still in service in a neighboring dept.

22-4 has its original 4 cyl. engine, and a custom made steel tank that holds approximately 80 gallons.

It was retired in 2009 with 8000 original miles and is now used for parades and public appearances.
 

Attachments

cfb

Lieutenant
Stark911 said:
Chippewa Twp Station 22, Beaver County, PA
Retired Brush 22
Willys
1965
This rare Jeep with duel rear wheels was originally built for the U.S. Forestry Service and was made available to volunteer fire companies through a special government purchase program. Purchased new in 1965, this vehicle replaced our previous brush Jeep which was a 1948 Willys. That unit is still in service in a neighboring dept.

22-4 has its original 4 cyl. engine, and a custom made steel tank that holds approximately 80 gallons.

It was retired in 2009 with 8000 original miles and is now used for parades and public appearances.
got to love the '2' federal beacons on the hood.
 
Top